Monday, November 21, 2011

The genius of everyday things!

London's Science Museum has just opened a new exhibition, "Hidden Heroes". It features numerous inventions we now take for granted like wire coat hangers, rubber bands, tea bags and bubble wrap. It calls them "the genius of everyday things".

I was struck by the simplicity of the ideas and it resonated strongly when I recalled a recent survey finding that whilst 78% of US households claim to like trying new products, 75% of homes try fewer than 10 new items each year.
That's less than 10 from a total of 105,000 new food and drinks noted by Mintel.


The question most companies face is how do I get my new product into the 10 that are tried (or how do I get to increase the total to 11!).

I think the answer is observable in the Museum:
- Successful ideas require little thought by the consumer

- They intuitively communicate their benefit


- The innovatory feature is truly valuable to the consumer


Wire coat hangers, rubber bands, tea bags and bubble wrap - each one fits these three imperatives.
They are all meaningful, understandable and relevant.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home