Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Its called a what?



Reading this months Atlantic magazine I was intrigued by an article about Phosphates, or to be exact Acid Phosphate drinks. Sounds great doesn’t it, almost as good as the Ad copy for a past brand leader Horsfords Acid Phosphate, “Its not nauseous but agreeable to the taste”. Move over Don Draper.


The article goes on to describe the history of these marvelous drinks - find a copy of Darcy O’Neil’s book Fix the Pumps to learn more – my thoughts however strayed to all those really strange sounding food and drink names I’ve encounter since I moved to the US.


If you were launching a new drink would anyone name the category Phosphate, or Seltzer or even Carbonate ?


Mmm, try a glass of our new all natural Phosphate.


Its not just drinks though, I’ve just about got used to eating a “Sub” and I can even understand that it looks a little submarine like in shape but why in heavens name did anyone try calling them a “Hoagie” or a “Grinder” or, (and I will happily give a prize to anyone who can tell me the derivation) a “Dagwood”.


And if we stay on this theme, why are they called Oreos, and why was their competitor called a Hydrox (thinking about that one it would be perfect for laundry detergents).


I’d love to hear of any other strange names……….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home