Tuesday, November 20, 2012


Initial Idea Screening

     
Much of my work is at the "fuzzy front end" helping my clients generate new ideas, and so ways to screen them is always a major interest.
I've come to the conclusion that there are three fundamental truths that an idea has to win on to stand a chance. And one that can make or break even the best idea.

 A recent client meeting in Geneva and a long flight back left me pondering some fine McDonalds examples.

 
1) Breakfast in McDonalds Switzerland: croisant, confiture, pain rustique avec café au lait, delicious, almost affordable (my what an expensive city)

McDonalds Breakfast

2) Mid-afternoon: McCafe Geneva: and beautiful patisserie
 

McCafe

 

3) Night in airport hotel Zurich: Golden Arches Hotel
 
Golden Arch Hotels

 

 

 

How would you screen these new products at concept stage?
My first three screening factors would be:
Fit to Brand, Fit to Consumer, Fit to Ability (can we make it/serve it) - and I think all three ideas pass with flying colors.

But the one that in the end makes or breaks an idea is Fit to Company Strategy. The hotel example is real, I stayed there some years ago but it is no more. It just didn't fit the Strategy and was closed.
What first coarse filters do you use? Do you keep it short and sweet or seek detail early?
I'd love to hear your methods and of course if you are looking for idea generation I'd love to talk!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home