Monday, July 12, 2010

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto 

Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off.
Fred Astaire? Louis Armstrong?
 

My all too infrequent blogs tend to seek comparisons between The US and European food products, services and attitudes and to be primarily composed from a UK based desk.



Times change and I’m now living in the USA, my thoughts are still about food comparisons, but rather more every day in nature.


Today my focus is on vegetable merchandising and how US grocery displays produce so appetisingly – the stacked high and misted items look great, the peppers shining, the potatoes scrubbed (but individually shrink wrapped spuds, I really don’t get that).


The UK sections have just as many varieties, but somehow it’s the display art and that misted water which makes such a visual difference.


There is one question I would love an answer on - why are American Carrots and Parsnips so long and thin versus British short fat ones? The Brits win on a peel to flesh ratio!


                                                                                                                 
US Produce Display
UK Produce & fatter parsnips!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home